$100 Human Genome – is that finally possible?

No items found.

More than twenty years after having the first sequenced human genome, the price of such service had fallen from billions of dollars to just $1000. But that’s not enough!

Ultima Genomics had found a way to further lower the price of whole genome sequencing (WGS) to just $100. The new method replaces the traditional flow cell with a silicon wafer. Thanks to that change, more and more reads could be sequenced at a much lower cost. The company also informs about novel chemistry used during the process and machine learning methods which further lower the cost of the sequencing.

Why does that matter? In MNM, ARETE platform utilizes thousands of genomes to extract valuable information for the med-tech and pharma-tech industries. So far, the WGS price was the biggest hurdle for extensive genome sequencing programs, especially in the oncology field. Having the possibility of sequencing the genome for just $100 allows us to multiply our data collection incredibly fast. More data means more meaningful output. Cheap WGS could be a major driving factor in bringing new drug target discovery studies, as well to validate existing drug targets on real genomic data.

$100 Human Genome – is that finally possible?
October 13, 2022

You may also like

Where is the AI in HealthTech?

If you suspect that there is an AI bubble in HealthTech – you are 100% right. So where really is the AI in HealthTech?

Copy-number signatures - a new family member among cancer mutational signatures

Chromosomal instability (CIN) is a term referring to abnormal cytogenetic behavior such as gains, losses and rearrangements of chromosomes. CIN often leads to serious consequences for a cell and is a hallmark of cancer.

Targeting Cancer with Precision AI

Our mission is to provide the right therapy for every cancer patient. This is done with the use of artificial intelligence.

What do we know about somatic noncoding mutation patterns in cancer?

Over the last couple of years, scientists were able to identify many somatic driver mutations in protein-coding regions of the genome. This part of DNA comprises only 2% of the human genome. What about the remaining 98%?